Thursday, August 29, 2013

Thursday 8/29/2013

Fir some reason it's been one of those days that I can only live 15 minutes at a time. Baby was up a little more than usual last night. Boys were up by 7:50...wayy to early for me. We got to the preschool practice day on time HORAY-that's kind of a big deal for me. I tried to leave 30 minutes early for a school that is 3 miles away and we made it just in time. It was a fun orientation to pre-kindergarten. During recess the NP called me and told me that Ava was having a rough day. She was breathing pretty hard and her PICC Line had come out. Unfortunately these are things that seem to happen when her primary nurses aren't there. The NP called to get permission for another PICC IV. Then cardiology decided to see how she does without the milrinone- so they decided they could get away without the PICC and just put in a peripheral IV...Which took 4 tries to get, it's in her foot. They had to bump up the high flow to 4L but they reduced the oxygen to 60 % to help protect her lungs. They added the nitric oxygen, which sort of replaces the effectiveness of the milrinone.   
After preschool orientation we went back home to pack for camping. Then I took my mom to the shuttle back to idaho falls. I ran back home and grabbed my breastmilk, fed Ivy again and headed to a Jiffy lube....which took 2 hours to get to my car, but it needed to be done before the camping trip. I deviated from the GPS advice on the way up to the hospital and drove straight through the University campus. Baaaad idea on game days. I've never seen so many red shirts. It took about 30 minutes to go a few miles. I planned to just cram an hour in with Ava even if it meant leaving even later for camping. Ava was crying when I got there. Apparently she has been fussy all day. I asked the nurse a bunch of questions as usual, and got some very vague answers one of which was followed by ..."do you know if they plan on doing a heart surgery soon?" SERIOUSLY! Did you REALLY just ask me that question!?!? You have been taking care of my baby for 12 hours today and somehow managed to miss the giant incision down her chest!  That pretty much has set me off. I feel like Ava has been neglected today...especially since she lost her PICC line. The baby she is paired with gets oral feeds every 3 hours..which means he is scheduled to be held at least every 3 hours. Ava does not have that luxury. Now at nearly 8pm I am ranting in the Ronald McDonald room feeling guilty that my family hasn't eaten dinner and Ivy is probably starving by now. I still need to grab a few things at the grocery store, get gas, then drive the 2-3 hours to find the camping spot I've never driven to...without cell service. Like I said...I can only survive today if I think about what I have to do in the next 15 minutes.    END NASTY POST. See ya saturday..perhaps my mood will have improved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment