Tuesday, November 19, 2013

November 18: lungs improving. i'm a ball of negativity today..its late as usual.

I'm just plain exhausted here at 2am, so this may be more brief or obnoxious. 

She was switched to a conventional ventilator late last night. She seems so much more comfortable on this ventilator. 

I haven't seen more of the choreiform movements, but then again they increased her sedation last night.

They are going to do trials off the ventilator tonight. I don't know why they have to do all the respiratory stuff in the middle of the night. Maybe they work on other things during the day. I'm worried about her being able to cough. She was already so weak and refused to cough when we were home for 10 days, but when her airway was finally cut off, she'd be forced to cough, and then she'd vomit. Not sure how this is going to go. 

Ava made 15mL of urine today. This needs to be consistent to celebrate, but we can do a little mini-cheer for the kidneys. 
The nephrologist waved his "magic wand" of paper work for the genetic testing of atypical HUS in front of Ava today. He filled out the paperwork and then pulled it from the chart because he was still not convinced. He said that maybe if he threatens her with it her lab values will normalize. It was all in good humor. The test is 5,600 dollars and is done in Iowa. I was curious. The test also only predicts 30-50% of cases. The rest are still unknown. He is going to draw another LDH lab value tonight and if it comes down again, I imagine he'll hold off on it altogether. The nephrologist talked to me for a long time about different dialysis options and what is best for little ones. He said infants do better with peritoneal dialysis about every other day when it is discovered that this may be more long term. 

GI came this morning. I missed him. Nothing profound coming from that way yet. We want to make sure her stomach and bowels are very healed after that bleed. For reference: that bleed drained about 400mL of blood from her body out of her stomach and intestines/ostomy site and out her nose. Her little body holds 500mLs they said. 

She is off all vasopressors (squeezing the blood vessles) including vasopressin and octreotide and she is off the nitric oxide inhaled (vasodialator to help lungs to take up more oxygen). These were necessary steps before even thinking of feeding the gut. 

She is still extremely yellow from bilirubin. That has not started to come down yet, but it is not increasing every day either. 

Personal struggle: Trying to be a mom to all my kids, but ultimately having to pick between them. Again, Ivy is not allowed in the PICU and I wouldn't think of bringing the boys in there, I'm pretty sure they're not allowed either. My situation is going to get very complicated after this weekend. The only time I will be able to be with Ava is if someone is watching Ivy..at the hospital. She does not take a bottle and I am not pressing the issue because it is really the only time she sees me right now. I am not sending her back to Idaho and losing another kid. My boys have taken an emotional hit, but praise God, they know how to verbalize it, at least some of it.  Hanging out at the hospital for long days is not good for them, so can you see how complicated this is with Ivy who needs to stay by me. I also can't have a different person watching them every day. That is NOT healthy. ADditiionally people are not allowed to watch them at the ronald mcdonald house unless I sign over and notarize temporary custody (which I have done for Vicky) and they cannot go to yucky playlands or preschool because they need to stay as healthy as possible. So I either pick my boys and Ivy, or mess up everybodies' lives and attempt to spent what could potentially be Ava's last days with me. There is no magic answer to this. The hospital needs a freakin' program to address this issue with people like me. I have been battling the same issue since April. So out of state moms only get to see their critically ill baby on the weekends unless they have family that doesn't work and can spend indefinite amounts of time out of state..also not practical. Mom's that have twins are even more screwed. This is the same rant I've had before. It's just on my mind and giving me a horrible headache. If it were a couple weeks, I could stomach it, but we've already played this game for 7 months. Again, no magic answer because my boys already need therapy. But, thanks for listening to my diary entry. 

p.s. I love everyone, but I also sleep in when I can. It is impossible to get back to sleep if my phone makes noise because my body is now trained to do that. I cannot silence it because the hospital needs to get ahold of me so it is turned up very loud to wake me if it does ring. Please don't call or text before 10:00am. Ivy has been sleeping late too because her schedule is royally goofed up. Facebook doesn't matter because I don't have noise attached to those alerts.  sorry, love you all. I do love the support, desperate for it actually. 

p.s.s. If I am ever too tired to type on this blog I am going to skip days or have really pathetic medical jargon updates for myself. I know that is rough for everyone else, but I am barely surviving here.  Do not be offended if I do not answer all messages, texts, or facebook. i'm low on emotional energy. again, sorry. here's to being human today. Cheers. 

5 comments:

  1. Ephesians 3:20-21 NKJV

    Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying Psalm 20 over ya'll daily 
    May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble ! May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high ! 2 May He send you help from the sanctuary and support you from Zion ! 3 May He remember all your meal offerings and find your burnt offering acceptable ! Selah. 4 May He grant you your heart's desire and fulfill all your counsel ! 5 We will sing for joy over your victory, And in the name of our God we will set up our banners. May the LORD fulfill all your petitions. 6 Now I know that the LORD saves His anointed; He will answer him from His holy heaven with the saving strength of His right hand. 7 Some boast in chariots and some in horses, But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God. 8 They have bowed down and fallen, But we have risen and stood upright. 9 Save, O LORD ; May the King answer us in the day we call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amber, once again, thanks so much for sharing. I hear you on the childcare thing. It was the number one problem we had during our journey in Seattle (care for our 4 yr old), other than our critically ill baby of course. I agree 100% that the hospital or the Ron Don house should have a program for this! A daycare or at least a network of babysitters and nannies who have been screened, through some training and whatnot. I am shocked that there are really no such programs.

    Anyway, we had friends take turns watching her, and she went to a drop -in preschool for a bit too, but in the end, we used the money people were raising for us to hire a nanny type person. She was not a professional (so, more affordable), just someone a friend recommended. She was from the local university. I wonder if you could put an ad out (or use a connection?) at the local university to hire a 'nanny' of sorts to help out with this. I don't know if you have the money for it, but if you've got some that you've raised, I'd say, this is what it is for....to make it possible for you to be with your ill baby. I also have some connections in Salt Lake and would be happy to see if any of them have any links to someone who could help you with this. It would be helpful to know if you can pay anything or not, then I could put the word out. I do have several second cousins who are teenagers/young folks that could possibly help with this. Lemme know...Kristin (https://www.facebook.com/kwoodchuck)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the updates! I check it daily & continue to pray for miracles for Miss Ava... also have been thanking God for the miracles that he has already completed for her. It has been beautiful to see his hand of grace in each baby step towards normal function. We are rooting for you & can't wait to be back there to help out with the boys if possible! Love you.

    ReplyDelete