Wednesday, October 2, 2013

wednesday 10/2/2013

Ava has Rhinovirus. Fancy-Shmancy word for a cold..but because it is in the NICU we have an isolation crackdown. So her little 4 baby bed space is on droplet isolation...gowns, gloves, AND masks. For reference the VRE precautions were contact precautions..this is worse. I feel bad for the other families in our section because it was our fault. The boys had a cold a week ago or so and I probably somehow brought it to her. She has been coughing...and puking when she coughs. When I came in this afternoon from a NICU lunch meeting Ava's nurse was at lunch and Ava was lying in her own puke, kinda sad, though understandable. The covering nurse hadn't noticed because the other babies were all beeping and dinging. I threw out her bedding and gave her a bath. Not the quality time I wanted with her, but was glad to be able to do it.   I asked the nurse how they know to test Ava again  to be able to get off precautions..and she said she didn't know because she had never had a baby with rhinovirus before. Apparently Ava is the only baby who's ever had siblings with a cold before-note sarcasm. I didn't bring them in with a cold either. Though I am sad for the other babies who are at risk, I am glad that Ava got a cold while still in the hospital so we can see how she deals with it. That way our first experience wouldn't be a shocker at home. At least it's not RSV. Beware folks-the hospital/nurses are saying that RSV is hitting early this year. Keep your 0-2 year olds safe. 

Ava pulled out her NJ tube 2 or 3 more times. Now her hands are gloved up again. This makes me very sad because she spends most of her day twisting her hands around each other and chewing on her fists. It is also not good for the development of her hands. 

In the meeting I met another mom and dad who's VACTERL baby has been here about 2 weeks AND a mom of another baby and this mom actually had VACTERL. The baby had something completely unrelated. That was a nice lunch.

I didn't take one of Ava today..so here's one of Ivy, little Maestro. She loved this little piano.


No comments:

Post a Comment