Friday, May 31, 2013

friday 5/31/2013

Hooray- Ava's dialation procedure was on time today, so she didn't have to starve allll day-only half the night. She got right into the OR at 7:30 and the doctor called me about 8:45. I was so tired that I couldn't even think of any questions though. He said it went well. Again they were able to extubate her before she was back in the NICU (so she didn't have to come back on the ventilator). She was given one dose of morphine for discomfort and was happy again when her food was resumed. They replaced the 5 french NG tube with an 8 French which was a nice big step. The NG tube is the tube that goes from her nose to her stomach And is what her breastmilk is given through. She still cannot swallow because the NG tube takes up the whole width of the esophagus, so the repoggle tube (sucking out the spit) is still in place so she doesn't suffocate on her own secretions. The doctor said he would do 4 dialations, one each week, and then take a break for a few weeks. I was kind of hoping to be home by the end of July, But I am starting to doubt that lately. This was the second of the 4 dialations. She was a happy,sweet, lethargic baby when I visited. She cries every time I put her down and leave-which just kills me, I hate it!      Note the green NG as opposed to the previous orange one.

No comments:

Post a Comment